As you most likely know, this Thursday is the 40th Earth Day.
In Earth Day’s honor, I’ll be moving around the order of a few posts this week.
Earth Day Challenge
On Thursday, I’ll talk about undertaking a challenge for Earth Day. I think it’s a great opportunity for each of us to think about taking on a special challenge to change our ways — even if just a bit — for 40 post-Earth Day days. Think about what you’ d like to do — I’m leaning toward an Earth Day diet? But with all the waste talk, maybe you’d prefer keeping track of garbage? Feel free to submit suggestions and we’ll move forward Thursday.
Other challenges around the Web
Meanwhile, many other websites are offering challenges for Earth Day. Here are a few that you might be interested in:
- The 2010 Heart of Green Awards will announce a winner tomorrow (April 20) at a fancy-schmancy dinner in New York City. (And no, we’re not invited). These awards honor people and organizations that take green to the people — the “heart” of the environmental movement. Past winners have included Michael Pollan, Lisa Simpson (of The Simpsons TV show) and the 100-mile diet.
- President Obama wants you to do something to help with Earth Day on April 22. If his video will persuade you, view it here.
- The Daily Green and Etsy teamed up for a Trash-to-Craft Challenge. You can vote for a winner through 10 a.m. ET Tuesday, April 20!
- Sylvania, the light bulb company, is offering an Earth Day challenge with a grand prize of a carbon-neutral Disneyland vacation. Take the challenge at the website. When you take the challenge, you fill out a survey that calculates how much energy savings your actions can create in 40 days and in a year.
- YouSendIt has a great challenge: Pledge to use YouSendIt instead of messengering important documents, and enter to win many prizes including an iPad. Learn more here, then click at the link at the bottom of the page to enter.
- Sew the Day, Seize the Crochet has a craft repurposing challenge. Re-use some material to create a new craft project by April 25 and submit before-and-after photos for a chance to win a set of crochet rounds (a good alternative to cotton balls – what a great idea!) and a sweater.
- Win an Under Armour Catalyst T-shirt at ThatsFit.com. The shirts block UV rays, won’t get stinky and are made from recycled plastic bottles.
- Enter to win a lovely handbag here with your eco-confession by April 21.
- And IndieFixx has a giveaway of more hand-crafted, environmentally friendly items at its website. Comment with what you do to help the environment. Contest ends April 22.
- ** Edited – one more just in!** Win a Precision Garden Seeder from Seeds of Change and Homewatch Caregivers. Visit the blog here to learn all the details. Then craft a few words about who first inspired your love of gardening by tomorrow, April 20. Winner will be chosen by vote on the Facebook page.