With the rising cost of fuel and the uncertain economy, buying a cheap car is more important than ever. The price of the vehicle, fuel efficiency, size of engine and warranty should all be considered when choosing a car. You also need to take into account the cost of insurance as some cars are more expensive to insure. Keep in mind that you do not want to sacrifice safety just to purchase a cheaper vehicle; therefore, you need to look at the safety rating of the car. Another thing you need to check are the car insurance rates. Buying a sporty car will impact these rates! If you are going to be purchasing a new or used vehicle this year, here are the cheapest cars of 2012.
1. Scion xD: This four-door hatchback gets 27 miles to the gallon in the city and 33 miles to the gallon on the highway. It is priced less than $16,000. It contains a basic warranty of 3 years or 36,000 miles, or you can get the power train warranty, which is 5 years or 100,000 miles. It is a car that is fun to drive and is cheap to operate.
2. Toyota Yaris: This subcompact car has a purchase price of around $14,000 and gets 30 miles per gallon in the city and 38 miles per gallon on the highway. This hatchback has a 1.5-liter engine and can hold up to five people. The warranty is 3 years or 36,000 miles.
3. Ford Fiesta: The Ford Fiesta is fun to drive and includes a refined and lively engine. It is very fuel-efficient and is available in both sedan and hatchback styles. The vehicle also provides keyless ignition and Ford’s Sync system; therefore, you can control audio and cell phone operations through voice commands. The price is just over $14,000, so it is a very affordable vehicle.
4. Nissan Versa: This small four-door sedan is considered to be the lowest priced American car. You can purchase this vehicle for less than $12,000, and it gets up to 38 miles per gallon. Even though it is a subcompact car, the Versa contains plenty of legroom for all passengers. The car contains a 1.6-liter four-cylinder with 109 horsepower. It is a very cheap car to own.
5. Kia Rio: This four-door sedan gets 40 miles per hour on the highway and includes a warranty of five years or 60,000 miles. It features fuel-saving engine start/stop technology; therefore, the engine temporarily shuts off when you are at a stoplight. The car has an excellent safety record, maneuverability and a comfortable interior. You can purchase the vehicle in a sedan or hatchback.
6. Smart ForTwo Pure: If you really want a vehicle that gets exceptional gas mileage, this car is for you as it gets 41 miles per gallon on the highway. It is only 8 feet 10 inches long, so it is the smallest production car sold in the United States. It is powered by a 1.0-liter three-cylinder engine that emits 71 horsepower.
7. Chevy Sonic: The Sonic is a fun car to drive and gets excellent gas mileage. It is available in a hatchback or sedan, and you can purchase one with a navigation system, sunroof or other types of luxuries that you would prefer. The hatchback consists of a removable floor, so you can adjust it to two different heights. If you are looking for a fuel-efficient vehicle, this is definitely one to consider.
8. Mazda 2: This sporty four-door hatchback can be purchased for just over $14,000. It gets 28 miles per gallon in the city and 34 miles per gallon on the highway. It will seat five people, and the rear seat cushion is removable. It is one of the lightest vehicles on the road and includes excellent safety records.